Friday, October 26, 2007

taking things for granted

It is funny the things you take for granted until they are missing and can't be used! I woke up today to the normal sounds of my daughter chattering in her room at around 6:50am, but to my surprise my alarm clock was blank! My very first thought was how am I going to feed my baby? She is very very picky and will only eat her cereal hot and her bottle hot, not warm, hot. So I hopped in the car in search of somewhere with power to fill my thermos with hot water. No such luck, I began to call family and friends to use their hot water and realized all of Riverside was out of power. I came back home and thought the water heater has to have some hot water stored up. It did and it got hot enough to get us through our morning feeding. Then I wondered what am I going to do all day without power? Luckily it was only 3 hours without, not bad at all considering all of Riverside was without it. But I began to think about the chaos and stress of a mother in New Orleans, during Katrina. How excruciating to not be able to provide your child with food, or a clean diaper. They had nothing to give and nothing for themselves, I cannot imagine the pain that those parents must have felt as they searched and tried to provide for their children.
It made me want to stock pile my house with supplies, and I think it is good to be prepared but at the same time we can' t get crazy. I have that tendency!
It just made my heart ache again for the people of Louisiana and Mississippi. How many people are still suffering there, 2 years later, way too many. It is so easy to be selfish and forget others in need. I do not want to be that person and I don't want my kids to be those people.

No comments: