Wednesday, October 10, 2007

quiet house


This morning I am enjoying a quiet house. I can't remember the last time I have had that. Zeke goes to school MWF and Sofia sleeps in the morning. But I don't usually enjoy these quiet times. Mondays I work, Wednesdays I usually skip her nap to go to playgroup, and Friday Dan has the day off so we work on the house, run errands etc. So today we stayed home, and I basked in the quiet of my home. I fought the urge to empty the dishwasher, clean the bathroom, make my bed, wash the diapers etc. I sat down with my earl grey tea (with cream and honey) and read my Bible and wrote in my journal, uninterrupted it was great. I have to fight against my nature to get things done and instead do what I really need which is to be quiet. I love the chaos and loudness of life with kids but I also need a balance of time alone. I am lately trying to figure out what I need to be a better mom and wife, and time alone and stillness around me is one of them. It is not always possible but at least I can find snippets of every once in awhile. I think Scarlet needs quiet time too, she has to look over her shoulder all day with the kids around! She is peacefully snoring on the couch also enjoying the quiet!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inspiring, I too struggle with grasping moments of quiet when "things" need to get done. Yay for the magic of a good cup of tea and some time alone. I think I'll go make one now...

Anonymous said...

Oh, Scar Scar Binks: you're my favorite cat-sized dog! Love, Karen

jess mac said...

I can never sit still when I have those moments. You inspire me.