Monday, October 8, 2007

I had fun at work!

On Mondays I work at River Springs charter school as a teacher of Photography and Painting/sculpting. I have been with River Springs for over 5 years now and I feel blessed to have such a flexible job that lets me be home the rest of the week. I always seem to have to slap myself back into shape because I always end up complaining about having to work. I know I work one half day how annoying of me to complain. But a lot more goes into the classes and preparing than one day. Anyway today in my photo class we were working on our shutter speed and capturing action shots. So we went up to this field to mess around and take pictures of each other, and I actually really enjoyed my day of teaching! Lately it has been hard because I put a lot of time into the classes, but they are supplemental and the students could do nothing and have no consequences. So it is often hard to get them motivated to do anything at home, and how can they learn if they don't practice and explore their surroundings and their cameras! So today the kids played volleyball and did funny dance and jump moves in order to take shots of each other. It was so fun and we were cracking up at each other and just having fun. It was so fun to watch them feel so comfortable with each other and do weird things in order to get a good shot. By the way I teach jr. high, a grade I never thought I would love, but I do. I love that you can talk to them and that they 70% of the time want to learn new things from you! Anyway just had a good day at work and they have felt few and far between lately so I thought I would share.

1 comment:

Jeff and Yvonne Weinstein said...

Glad you are enjoying the "Adolescent Life Forms"
I always thought I'd want to teach a primary grade, until I was stuck all day long subbing in a first grade class. Then I ended up with middle schoolers, and fell in love with them. They are crazy! No, really, they are. Amazing creatures who need nice, partly crazy-but-centered adults to look up to.