Thursday, October 4, 2007

Oh the frustration of paperwork

This morning after my dentist appointment I got to work on more paper work for Sofia's adoption. You might ask "Alyssa isn't she already adopted?" The answer is yes but there is so much more to do, it overwhelmes me just thinking about it! Since her birth certificate is in Kyrgyz we cannot read it nor can anyone else who is not Russian or Kyrgyz! So when she has to go to school or many other things you need a birth certificate for, it will be a problem. So we have to call and get paperwork, fill it out, file it with the court, get a court date, go get her name changed, do some more paperwork, send it off and then get her new birth certificate in English. This is only one of the things, there is her passport that needs changing, we have to apply for her Social security and more. With each process there are so many papers to fill out as well. So when I called to find out where to file our petition, no one, and I mean no one knew what I was talking about. I was on the phone for over an hour and I talked to, no lie, 8 people. I finally found someone who informed me that this is not what I need, but instead I have to re-adopt Sofia and do another home study, more paperwork, pay more money, and get a lawyer to do this. I am freaking out!!!! I have a call in to my agency so I am hoping and praying this is not true. I am so frustrated! Don't get me wrong, I would do this all day everyday for my baby, but it is hard, especially when Zeke is yelling in one ear about finding his hummer and getting him more cheerios, and Sofia is pulling my hair on the other side! Being on the phone for an hour is not an option with kids around. To be continued...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mama mia, hang in there kid, there's gotta be a better way!

escamillaweddings said...

that's just craziness!
i'll be praying that God works a miracle with the paperwork!!!

Nathan, Amanda, Violet and Anara said...

Can't Nightlight help? Surely they know the process for CA families. We just had to do a delayed registration of birth instead of a readoption - maybe not possible in CA (I'm sure you've explored everything). We too have an IR-4. We finally got Anara's IN birth cert. this week and it has a mistake. We have to send it back and wait longer. We still haven't gotten her passport back from registering it with the Kyrg. Embassy. The paperwork is annoying. At least we have them right.
Amanda

Anonymous said...

We "re-adopted" both Nathan and Tessa in April and you DO NOT need a lawyer, new homestudy, etc. It's relatively easy and you have to "re-adopt" (I hate that term) the kids in order to be eligible for the delayed registration of birth (CA birth certificate). Feel free to call me if you have any questions and Nightlight can certainly help, too. With Riverside County it is not the Probate Court like Nightlight says, it's the Civil Court (we learned this the hard way by standing in line for Probate Court for a LONG time.)
Kelly P

MamaSue said...

Maybe Liz Holmes can help. Do you have her email at Hadassah's Hope?

JennO said...

Friend, I cannot imagine that weird feeling of she is my daughter, and yet "legistics" are not finished. That is frusterating. Let me know if you need anything.

jess mac said...

yucky. We love you. Stay strong.

Kara said...

Hi Alyssa,
I was curious about how this turned out... I hope it's simpler than seemed at first. We have to re-adopt in ND, and are able to use original homestudy, but have to get it updated which is same as post-placement report really. But we had to get fingerprinted again. I'm sure it's different in every state. We still need to get her registered with the KG embassy too. Need to get that in this week! How time flies! Sofia is looking so pudgy - cute!

Jo said...

Found your blog from Jessica Eveland's blog...we were all poly-people back in the day...I hear you when it comes to adoption paperwork! We are in the middle of it all as well. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Do you guys watch movies in theater or on internet? I use to rent DVD movies from [b]Redbox.com[/b]. Recently I discovered that we can watch all new movies on internet on day, they are released. So why should I spend money on renting movies??? So, can you guys please tell me where I can [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]watch latest movie Butter 2010[/url] for free?? I have searched [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]Youtube.com[/url], [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]Dailymotion.com[/url], [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]Megavideo.com[/url] but, Could not find a good working link. If you know any working link please share it with me.


Thanks