Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What's your favorite?


In the last year I have somewhat gotten my act together and every evening I make dinner and we eat as a family. I grew up this way and I love that we have the same tradition in our home. I love the community it is already building with our kids, they are still so small but I hope to cultivate a safe place that is consistent and "normal".
Now I am not saying we all sit still and eat and have manners like we're the Cleavers or something. It might be the opposite of that... But we are there and together and talking about life. I think that's what matters most.
There is constant complaints about what we are eating, Sofia is ALWAYS out of her seat dancing around, Moses is ALWAYS rubbing rice or ketchup in his hair, and Zeke is ALWAYS burping then cracking up. SO we have some issue to work out, but we have fun.
We started this tradition about 6 months ago where we all go around and say our favorite part of our day. Sofia is the leader, she always remembers and goes from each person asking "What's your favorite"? It is sweet, and they love to share. Moses says the same thing everyday of his life, that his favorite was playing with Ryder, his best buddy. Most days we haven't even seen Ryder but it is always his favorite!
I hope that with each year the kids will just grow into a habit of sharing their day with us at the table, learning to express how they are feeling and learning how to listen to each other.
It is absolutely my favorite part of the day!

2 comments:

Emily Branca said...

I just love that I get to be part of these things too. Love you guys. So much. The Lances are my favorite part of the day. Always :)

Annie said...

We always go around and share our highs and lows at dinner too. Last night Jonah weaved a tall tale and Payton finally called him on it. Jonah looked at me and said, "I'm a liar, I'm just bad" Before I could say anything Payton immediately said, "you tell good stories Jonah, you should be a writer". I quickly agreed and the crisis was averted. Table time discussions are the best:)